Thursday, December 18, 2008

Better point your finger somewhere else!

The lesson I learnt today is -- no matter how people try to act kind and summarize some shit email to you, you still have to read back from A to Z.. DONT EVER TRUST THAT LOUSY SUMMARY THAT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHETHER IT"S CORRECT OR NOT!!!!

Ok, here's the story... This guy name C (censored k, haha) forward me a mail with his summary stating that there will be a downtime for the declaration system due to some data migration process to the server from the Putrajaya Customs... what the heck... ok.. He asked me to inform all my users -- who are the gateways managers and supervisors. From his email, his summarization was as below:

Date : 20 Dec 2008 (Saturday)
Time : 6.00am - 12.00pm

Ok, when you see the time, how are you going to calculate the period of hours of the downtime? Definately for a sane people and with enough IQ and EQ, I would say 6 hours only! Coz it's 6 o'clock in the morning (AM) till 12 o'clock in the afternoon (coz it's PM!)..

Then this 'smart Alleck' said "Ah Moi, you salah la! Bukan 6 hours! Sampai midnite la, 12 midnite!" I can tell you honestly from the moment I heard this and after all the shit I had sent out to everyone throughout DHL, my mouth just trying hard to say out a word "Kanasai!" to him. Darn it! You pandai pandai 'smart Alleck' summarized there till 12PM, and now you told me I pulak silap!

Ok, so the conclusion was, I ran back to my place from the IT department to National Ops and recall all those emails that had been sent out! Can you imagine how many people working in Ops and how long was the distribution list?? I can only manage to recalled back 71 emails that had been sent! I hate when things like this happened because it made me look stupid! Ok, I did look stupid for today and I learnt my lesson but I just couldnt stop myself to point out his error, HIS OWN MISTAKES!!

"I would prefer you to just forward me those emails next time without the need of you summarizing it as I DO NOT WANT TO BE LAZY OF READING EMAILS AGAIN. Thanks C!" -- This was what I wrote to him. Argh!!! And he caused me to be late for lunch and my blood pressure went high! Huh.. Luckily Faeez (the IT joker) and Vincent (the HP guy) cool me down.. Not forgetting Madam Vach too... If not I'm scared that I'll drag him to the toilet and flush his head down the toilet! Hahaha... Shin Khai is going insane already...

Ok Ok... What am I trying to say here is... Efficient and effective information transmission in crucial in an organization. You need to transmit the correct information in order for the next process to be smooth and without any backlog. The reason you summarized the thing is to make things easier and let the info go out to the users faster -- if you had already summarized it, no point for me to read all over again the emails from sender A to Z.. rite?

Secondly, never point finger to anyone when issues occur -- it's not a big issue, we can settle it just a snap, why you had to say out things that make everyone feel bad. Why when something wrong, IT must always say that it Ops who caused it? Eh, com'on.. Ops are your clients / customers / users -- IT serve them! You had to help them! Dont always blame them, but instead, please educate them. That's why us, the Operation Programs Team is here to liase with everyone, we want our guys on the floor to be as wise as any IT expert too (but of course their main expertise must be i shipment handling :P)... Dont kedekut ilmu and look down on them though you sit in the office in aircond where they are working in the warehouse.. They can be more successful than any of us if they wan!

Thirdly, this is the hardest one.... Dont trust any summary!!! Go through anything by yourself and make your own summary!! Hahahaha...

Ok, last but not least -- never be late for your lunch coz that's the time for you to wind up! :P
Have fun guys -- reading and cursing!

Love,
Shin

No comments: